Incidents at the Stade de France: the videos of the RATP and the SNCF have been automatically deleted, the prosecution is justified

Incidents at the Stade de France: the videos of the RATP and the SNCF have been automatically deleted, the prosecution is justified

After the images of the Stade de France erased, here are those of the metro and the RER. The RATP and the SNCF both say this Friday to Parisian-Today in France that the video surveillance recordings of the day and the evening of May 28, the day of the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid, were automatically deleted 72 hours later. And this without the justice making a requisition to obtain a copy of these images which could have helped to better understand the course of a chaotic evening.

“The retention period for videos from CCTV cameras is 72 hours for storage reasons, explains the RATP, in charge of metro line 13. Without judicial requisition, they are automatically overwritten by new recordings. We had no requisitions. “The SNCF, which manages the part of the RER B north of the Gare du Nord and therefore in Saint-Denis, as well as the RER D, provided similar explanations to Parisian-Today in France, referring to a “legal” deadline of 72 hours beyond which the videos are erased. A period during which justice did not approach the carrier to obtain a copy of these images.

“We were not aware that on these videos, there were very serious things”

Contacted by Le Parisien-Aujourd’hui en France, the Bobigny prosecutor’s office indicates that “it takes the support of a judicial inquiry to make requisitions”. The only judicial investigation opened so far concerned the alleged trafficking of counterfeit tickets for the Champions League final, and “did not therefore require the operation of video protection”, specifies the prosecution.

Similarly, “during arrests in flagrante delicto (Editor’s note: which resulted in 73 police custody), there was no need for video protection”. “A second investigation for theft and aggravated violence was opened on Friday, while the images of the various operators were urgently requested on Thursday evening”, adds the prosecution. Too late, in some cases. The Saint-Denis police station was seized. A source familiar with the matter agrees: “Wrongly, we may not have measured that many people had experienced hell. We were not aware that on these videos, there were very serious things. No one told us about it.”

“It’s incomprehensible, all this is done in time normally”, asks, annoyed, a police source. “Justice knows these deadlines very well, they are used to working on these cases. It can’t be an oversight, ”says a source familiar with the matter. “The police did not need a request from the prosecution, they had other facts before them, so they should have asked for the images. Normally they do this automatically. I don’t know why they didn’t do it on their own, ”slips a former investigating judge.

The RATP and the SNCF have a network of surveillance cameras which film the platforms and stations as well as their surroundings. These sequences could have been valuable, because several testimonies evoke attacks and thefts near these stations and this station, sometimes even on the platform of the metro after the meeting. “It depends on the operating systems, but in some cases it was possible to recover images after the theoretical date”, launches a source close to the investigation. For its part, the SNCF affirms that the images are definitively erased after this period of 72 hours.

Gérald Darmanin had mentioned recordings of the RER D platforms in front of the senators

In addition, Gérald Darmanin had explained during his hearing in the Senate a week ago that images, without specifying whether they came from a camera of the RATP, the SNCF or another source, showed a large influx in during the match of Liverpool supporters on the public transport platforms, in particular those of the RER D, in the direction of Paris. The Minister of the Interior had explained that he was ready to transmit them to the presidents of the two commissions who had asked to hear his version of the incidents. In a press release published Friday evening, the presidents of the two commissions urged the police headquarters and the Ministry of the Interior to send them these sequences, regretting that this was not already the case.

The Senate continues its hearings next week. The interministerial delegate for the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games Michel Cadot, author of a report published on Friday which points to a series of “failures” at the origin of this fiasco, representatives of the SNCF and the RATP will be heard on Tuesday.

Already on Thursday, the French Football Federation had told senators, through its director of institutional relations Erwan Le Prévost, that the videos recorded by the cameras at the Stade de France had been automatically deleted after seven days. In the evening, the police headquarters had announced that it still had its own recordings in the sector.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.